Now that students have returned for the 2018-19 school year, it’s time to get ready for Walk /Bike to School Day
Wednesday October 10, 2018.
NOTE: Kids will be riding their bikes to & from school on Wednesday October 10th, 2018 …
Please allow yourself extra time to get in and out of your local community.
Drop off your bike now through October 14th to SAVE on a BIKE TUNE up!
Encouraging safe biking skills is essential to becoming a knowledgeable confidant rider. The information below is a great resource to help you practice skills together. Ideally the new rider get chances to hear & practice the information several times with an adult who can provide feedback and supervision.
Bicycling is a fun & healthy way to spend quality time with your child. It is also the best way to gauge your child’s bicycling skills & judgment.
Consider the following three steps before your child rides to school.
Developed by the National Center for Safe bike to school routes from the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center and funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation
BE A ROLL MODEL
BE A “ROLL MODEL” MEANS
- Riding & Driving Focused — never distracted.
- Riding & Driving Prepared — always expect the unexpected.
- Putting Safety First — we never know when a crash will occur, regardless of skill level or age; always wear a bicycle helmet when on a bicycle and a seat belt when in a car.
- Following the Rules of the Road — a bicyclist is considered a vehicle on the road with all the rights on the roadway and responsibilities of motorized traffic.
- Expecting law enforcement officers to monitor and address unsafe behaviors between motorists and bicyclists that put bicyclists at risk.
- Sharing the Road — both vehicle drivers (motorist & bicyclist) should look out for one another & show mutual respect.
Developed by the National Highway traffic administration for bike to school and bike safety month.
Cooler weather … more cycling!